18 February 2015

Ash Wednesday!

Yay for Lent! I'm excited for this season. 
Mom and I started our Lent with 7am Mass. Then we came back, mom put the oven to self-clean (an Ash Wednesday tradition), and I did math. It was weird because I was up earlier than usual, so my math was done by 9:30. It usually isn't done until rather later than that. 
I have big plans this Lent. In addition to giving up sugar, I am doing some other stuff, including weekly confession and reading a chunk of Paradise Lost by John Milton every day. (Actually I have to read Paradise Lost for literature, but hey, why not make it a Lenten sacrifice?) [Ceal, if you're reading this, I totally called it!] Also we are going to abstain on Wednesdays as well as Fridays, and fast on Fridays.
No history class today, and no organ lesson, but we do have choir practice. So we'll have a fish dinner and go off to sing!
I like it when Lent begins early. Sometimes it's even so early that my birthday is after Easter or in Holy Week (which is pretty awesome). Who wouldn't love a Holy Thursday birthday? Holy Thursday is my favorite Mass of the year. Anyway, Easter won't be early enough for that this year. I think my birthday is the week before Holy Week. But last year I thought Easter was rather late...it's nice to get the spring going with a big holiday at the beginning.

Oh, and also, we had another quiz bowl yesterday in Tea. My team placed 3rd and one of our teams placed 1st and the other placed 4th. We would have been 1st-2nd-3rd, but O'Gorman got ONE MORE POINT than we did. So we ended up in 3rd. But that's better than our usual (always) 5th place. And it's the first time our best team gets 1st at a high school quiz bowl! So it was a good day for us. 
Also, shout out to Mrs. Powers, who helped me with several of the math questions indirectly! 

So now I have the rest of a very cold (the high is 4 whole degrees!) Ash Wednesday to enjoy. Is it weird that I'm so excited for Lent?




1 comment:

If you don't have a blogger account, click on Name/URL and put in your name. [Comments are moderated.]