30 September 2014

Writing Class!

Among the several thousand things I've been doing, I started writing class! This year I'm taking Advanced Fiction Writing: The Hero's Journey and Mythic Structure from Homeschool Connections. My writing teacher is the same, and it's great to have a longer class with her. I have five classmates, so it's a nice small class size. (More teacher time!) So far we've learned about archetypes and the Hero's Journey, and then started looking at each archetype individually. We're doing the Hero first, naturally. We are using the book The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers by Christopher Vogler. It's basically our "textbook," though it doesn't have textbook qualities (i.e. dry, boring, long...). It's a fun and fascinating book, and very informative.
So. Pretty much I get the best of the best. What could be more fun than a small class in which we study in-depth the nuances of fiction writing? Okay, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I definitely enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blogger account, click on Name/URL and put in your name. [Comments are moderated.]