17 September 2014

Jane Austen

Have I ever mentioned Jane Austen before? I certainly hope so. Mom and I love to listen to the books and watch the different movie versions of her novels. We've listened to all seven of her novels. My favorite is Emma, because it's lighthearted and hilarious, but I think Mom prefers Pride and Prejudice, which is my second favorite. There's something so universal about Jane Austen's books. Even though they're very culturally specific, the themes and issues are close to home for everyone. That must be one of the reasons they're still read today. 

I watch Pride and Prejudice every once in a while as a matter of course. We own both the newer version and the BBC miniseries. While the BBC version is far truer to the book and therefore somewhat more enjoyable for someone who has read the book...


...the newer one is still delightful. I actually watched it last night. :-)

Two days ago Mom and I watched the 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility, which we hadn't seen for quite a while. It's not one of my favorite Austen books, but still a great story.

BBC did a wonderful miniseries of Emma which I love. It's much better than the movie. 

Mom and I have also watched versions of Persuasion, Mansfield Park, and Northanger Abbey. The latter is a bit silly but an entertaining read. You can tell Jane Austen was young when she wrote it. 

Lovely, all this Austen stuff. I'm so glad there are good movie versions of the books. They're some of the best movies I've watched.

(PS is there some copyright thing I'm supposed to say when I use a photo from a movie?)

5 comments:

  1. I tried listening to Emma this summer, like I told you, and couldn't get through it, but I really think it was because of the audiobook reader. I'll try to get it on my Kindle, since it has your recommendation! And I read Northanger Abbey a few months ago and thought it was so bizarre, especially since the place in the title came into play so late in the story. But I had read the introduction, so I was ready. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia, you may like her last work, the more mature Persuasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, maybe you will! I personally found it a little more boring than the others, but that's just me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'll work on finding my Kindle charger first, and once I do that.... Persuasion and Emma here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you found it yet? I do love Emma too.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a blogger account, click on Name/URL and put in your name. [Comments are moderated.]