25 March 2017

Weekly Prompt Writing



It is my firm opinion that I didn’t deserve to be shunned by the rest of the group. I mean, how could I have known those berries were poisonous? They should be glad I ate them first. My stomach bubbled and I swallowed. The past twelve hours hadn’t been the most enjoyable.

Now I was walking at the back of the caravan, several paces behind Lam’s mule, grumbling to myself.

And, of course, Sal was in the lead, riding beside the Elder.

“Hey, Fletcher,” she called over her shoulder.

I didn’t respond.

“Come on, slowpoke. The Elder needs to talk to you.”

I could have sworn the trees trembled at the volume of her yelling. I heard the Elder mumble, “I could have done that.”

I quickened my pace until I stood next to the Elder and Sal. “Yes, sir?”

“Did you learn about navigation by the stars in your training?” he asked.

I nodded. “Sure did.”

Sal rolled her eyes behind the Elder’s back.

“Then tonight you must tell us which direction we have been heading. Rhynd lost his compass and I think we’ve been wandering off our course.”

“Certainly, sir,” I said.

“Certainly, sir,” Sal mimicked.

I would have smacked her or at least glared at her, but I felt another vomit coming on. I ran to the bushes off the trail. Darn those berries.

Lam handed me a handkerchief. “Sorry about your stomach, kid. It could happen to the best of us.”

I wiped my mouth. Maybe it could happen to the best of us, but it had happened to me. And my sister was never going to let me live it down.

As if she had known the berries were poisonous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blogger account, click on Name/URL and put in your name. [Comments are moderated.]