17 August 2016

Saying Goodbye

Yesterday I said goodbye to two of my best and oldest friends. Today they leave for college, and we won't see each other again until Christmas.
I remember being younger, and joking about what we would say at each other's graduation parties, and talking about all going to the same college, and viewing it as too far in the future to be worried about.
Well, now it's here, and it's taking me a while to realize that this is real. It's going to be hard, but I couldn't be happier for my friends. Susannah is studying biology at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and Cecilia is studying nursing at Ursuline College. They're both going to be amazing and wonderful and I hope they have the time of their lives.
photo credit goes to big sis Claudia

All I can really say is this:
I don't think I've ever known
A love this pure, this plainly shown.
If all my hopes and dreams would end,
This I would know: you are my friend.

When I get tired of day-to-day
And dreads and fears obstruct my way,
Through all that life's worst storms may send,
At least I know you are my friend.

Your every laugh and hug and joke and tears
Remain with me across the years.
And if our lives cruel fate may rend,
Still I will know you are my friend.

If you grow weak and need relief,
Some shelter from your pain and grief,
I'd go for you to any end.
I hope you know I am your friend.

2 comments:

  1. Thank-you sweet friend. I love you so much and I miss you already. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all read it aloud and cried. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a blogger account, click on Name/URL and put in your name. [Comments are moderated.]