26 September 2016

Martyr

     Her knees trembled, but her voice did not. "Yes," she said.
     "We'll give you one last chance to rethink your answer," the captain said. "Is this really so important to you? You could save yourself and your family if you just said no."
     "Yes," she said again, this time more loudly, her voice ringing through the morning stillness. The guards shifted their feet, unwilling to meet her gaze. "It is so important to me," she went on. "If I can't say with conviction that I believe in my Lord Jesus Christ and in His Church, then what can I be certain of? I know that if you kill me, my family will suffer. My baby may die with no one to care for him. But can I face them if I deny God? Can I face God if I deny Him? Do what you want with me. You want me to say one little word, and I won't say it. I won't say it because it goes against everything I am. I believe in God and I will die for Him." 
     Her voice caught as she thought of her husband and three young children, and what her death would mean for them. But she knew God would take care of them. He always did. And if they should become martyrs, so much the better--she would see them again soon.
     Non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloria.
     Her knees stopped shaking and she was at peace.
     "That's enough," said the captain, his voice harsh with anger. "Take her away."
     She cried out as the beasts hurtled toward her, but it wasn't in fear. It was her Lord's name that she cried out. The onlookers turned away from the sight and wished they could shut out the sound.

1 comment:

If you don't have a blogger account, click on Name/URL and put in your name. [Comments are moderated.]