11 July 2016

L-48

This morning I was experimenting with flash fiction.


I first noticed the boy on my way to work one morning. His eyes reflected the green-gray of the leaves and burned me. Neither of us spoke.
He was always there behind the bushes. Every time I looked, there he was, staring at me. He became a comforting presence to me: a constant in my ever-changing world. We shared a look almost every day. We never spoke to each other.
So the weeks and months went by.
This morning there was a different boy in his place. I went up to him and asked, "Where is the other boy?"
A thread of silence grew until at length he cut it. "Sentry L-47 has been exterminated. I am Sentry L-48."


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blogger account, click on Name/URL and put in your name. [Comments are moderated.]