20 April 2016

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is a debut novel by Alan Bradley which one six different awards. My friend gave me this book for my birthday, and I absolutely loved it!
Aside from its great title, this book has pretty much everything I love in books. A daring, intelligent, and lively protagonist, a historical setting  (1950s England), a murder-mystery premise, numerous references to all sorts of literature and other random knowledge, and fabulous, hilarious writing.


One thing that particularly struck me about Sweetness was the use of a unique narrative voice. Told from the first-person perspective of an unreliable but precocious narrator, the straightforward descriptions and blunt internal monologue couples with a conversational tone to make for a very entertaining read. Mom can testify to how many times I laughed aloud while reading. The style reminded me of a younger, slightly-modernized Agatha Christie with different focus. And the plot was compelling, as an added bonus. The only problem with this book, I would say, is that it interfered with my schoolwork because I didn't want to put it down.
And, happily, there are six others in the series!
Thanks Maren! I can't wait to read the next one.

2 comments:

  1. They are great, aren't they? Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are great, aren't they? Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a blogger account, click on Name/URL and put in your name. [Comments are moderated.]