25 February 2017

Weekly Prompt Writing


We paused on our way to refill our skins in a fresh stream off the road. Katrina leant over the water and dunked her head in, then squeezed out her sopping hair.

Lam was filling a skin next to her. “So, Katrina’s a nice name,” he said. “Do people call you Kat for short?”

She looked him dead in the eyes, water dripping from her hair back into the stream. “Not twice.”

Lam let out a nervous laugh.

The Elder approached me as I secured the last skin to our packs. “Your sister seems irritable.”

I shrugged. “That’s just the way she is. You know what they say, twins are polar opposites.” I brandished a winning smile.

He didn’t look convinced. I sent up a prayer to the Ancients to make The Elder let me stay on the quest. If they made me leave because of Katrina, I’d kill her. Sure, I hadn’t been as useful in the catacombs as they had hoped, but I was sure I could prove my worth now. And besides, if I hadn’t been with them, Katrina would probably have stabbed them all in the deep recesses of her cave, then rifled their belongings and left their bodies to rot.

Funny her middle name was Ruth.

“Fletcher, did you finish your portion of rice at lunch?” Rhynd asked.

I opened my mouth to reply, but Katrina intervened. “No, he didn’t. But you can’t have it, Mr. Rhynd. I already ate it.”

I shoved my hand into the pocket where I had carefully wrapped up my sticky rice for later. The handkerchief was gone, as was the food.

I glared at my sister, who flipped her wet hair so it sprayed in my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blogger account, click on Name/URL and put in your name. [Comments are moderated.]