24 March 2016

The Holy Triduum

I'm so excited for the Holy Triduum, which starts today! Tonight our choir sings for my favorite Mass of the year, Holy Thursday. Then we'll have a procession into the chapel and there will be Eucharistic Adoration until 10pm. I'm not exactly sure why I like Holy Thursday so much, but I love it even more than Easter Vigil and Christmas.
Tomorrow Tessie and I sing for Stations of the Cross, then we'll go to the Good Friday service and Confession. I usually have a hard time getting into the spirit of Good Friday, but it's been getting easier every year. This Lent I've found a fondness for saying the Way of the Cross by myself, using different versions. (My two favorite are the St. Alphonsus and St. Francis ones.)
On Saturday our choir sings for Easter Vigil, which is always interesting. We have enormous packets of music for the Mass, as you can imagine. My two favorite parts of the Easter Vigil Mass are the Exsultet and the Litany of Saints. Though the Gloria with the bells and candles is pretty awesome too.
The choir sings again for Easter Morning Mass at 9am, and then Tessie and I cantor for the 11am Mass. We joked that we might as well sleep at church on Saturday night, since we'll basically be living there all weekend.
Holy Week is filled with so many emotions, and each day has its own characteristic. I love all the physical things we do at church (lighting candles, putting away the bells on Holy Thursday, Veneration of the Cross, etc.) to remind us of the spiritual reality of these holiest of days. It's so fitting that the converts enter the Church during the time of the most beautiful and richest liturgies of the year.
Happy Holy Triduum!
picture credit

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blogger account, click on Name/URL and put in your name. [Comments are moderated.]